Making in-memory queues and Disk queues

Luv

Making in-memory queues and Disk queues

Luv
This post was updated on .
This is kind of a confusion I want to be cleared about, not a conceptual question. Sorry if this is already answered.

1 - What directives do we use to make an in-memory queue only(no disk assistance) ?

I think every queue is an in-memory queue until we give the directive $ActionQueueFileName in it.

2 - This below is a disk-assisted queue, right ?

$ActionQueueType LinkedList
$ActionQueueFileName srvrfwd
$ActionResumeRetryCount -1
$ActionQueueSaveOnShutdown on

3 - How do we make a disk only queue(no in memory) ?

Re: Making in-memory queues and Disk queues

David Lang
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017, Luv via rsyslog wrote:

> This is kind of a confusion I want to be cleared about, not a conceptual
> question. Sorry if this is already answered.
>
> What directives do we use to make an in-memory queue only(no disk
> assistance) ?
>
> I think every queue is an in-memory queue until we give the directive
> $ActionQueueFileName in it.

correct (except for type disk)

> This below is a disk-assisted queue, right ?
>
> $ActionQueueType LinkedList
> $ActionQueueFileName srvrfwd
> $ActionResumeRetryCount -1
> $ActionQueueSaveOnShutdown on
>

> How do we make a disk only queue(no in memory) ?

you change the queue type to disk.

This will slow down rsyslog by a factor of ~100x-1000x, depending on your disk
capabilities, and is not recommended unless you have extreme reliability
requirements (in which case you need to make other changes as well)

you _really_ should switch to the new action() syntax and define the queue stuff
inside of that statement. Not all functionality is available to the legacy
config syntax, and you can't mix the syntax on a single action.

David Lang